||Welcome to Olds United Church
Located in the heart of Olds, Alberta, the United Church has witnessed the Christian faith through worship, service, and fellowship for 120 years (as of 2014). All are welcome to share in our ministry."I know there is nothing better for them,
than to be happy and enjoy themselves."
From the Minister's Desk
Tis the season for change ... and that cold, wet snow we experienced last week was just a reminder of that. We like to think of September as a month of crisp cool weather, but we were all sure surprised with that white stuff, weren't we?
And yet, if someone had taken a picture of the snow covered world, and showed it to us in December, it would have been something we considered beautiful, seasonal, festive even.
I can't help but think of the words of Ecclesiastes 3 ... "To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven." The challenge is that we, in our humanity, want to be in control. We're usually not happy with the "unplanned" events in our lives, or with trusting God's sense of time. Perhaps we need to let go, and let God be with us a little more. Perhaps we need to better understand that weather is something that we can't control, and appreciate it for what it is.
Think of the things that came about because of the early snow. Neighbours were checking in with neighbours, and had something exciting to talk about. Good Samaritans had opportunities to reach out and help cover tomatoes and sweep sidewalks. Families from afar called to see if we were doing alright in the storm. It is true that this recent storm has created havoc around the southern part of our province, but it has given us opportunities to reach out and care, to support those who have suffered damage to trees, to crops, to property. It has shown us, as weather related chaos tends to do, the value of neighbours caring for neighbours. And isn't caring for our neighbour, in love, what being part of the body of Christ is about?
Blessings, Tammy (Reverend Tammy Allan)
Dear People of Olds United Church
- To Members of the Choir - Beginning September 18, from 7 - 8 pm, choir practices will resume. We will be preparing anthems for Thanksgiving, 120th Anniversary, Advent, & Christmas. Your presence at our practices is vital, & very much needed if we are to do
our best with the beautiful selections we will be learning. If you know of anyone who might be interested in joining us, please encourage them; newcomers as well as former choir members are welcome. All will find joy in creating a beautiful sound by joining our
voices together in songs of praise & celebration.
- Thanksgiving Display - You are invited to show your thanks by bringing items to church that we can display in the sanctuary - items that symbolize your thanks. Last year's items included things like family photos, art work, food items ... the options are only as limited as your grateful imaginations. Appropriate food items will be donated to the Food Bank. Please bring your Thanksgiving display items to the church by Friday, October 10th at 12 noon, so that they can be arranged by the worship committee. Thanks!
- Historic Display at the Museum - There will be an Historic United Church Display at the Mountain View Museum from November 4 - 27. It includes an oral history interview video featuring Alvina Hawthorne and Marianne Becker. The Mountain View Museum is located at 5038 - 50 Street Olds, and is open Tuesday - Friday from 9 am - 4 pm.
- Helping in the Sudan - Alarmed at the growing humanitarian crisis in South Sudan, the United Church of Canada is issuing a church-wide appeal. Donations will aid displaced persons with food, water, shelter and medicine. Mission & Service partners are already on the ground in refugee camps serving those in need. Contributions are urgently needed to mitigate the severe human suffering
that threatens to worsen as the time of seasonal rains draws closer. To see how you can help out, visit www.united-church.ca.
- From the 120th Anniversary Planning Committee - Plans are underway for celebrations for the month of November 2014, with a variety of activities. Have you got anecdotes to share, or pictures that we can use for display purposes? Please bring those items to the church right away, to allow the Anniversary Committee to scan/copy photos and compile stories into a format to be shared.
Church News & Events
WELCOME BACK EVERYONE
Summer Holidays are Done
We're very pleased to have our old friends returning. Welcome back to the United Church Women, meeting once again on Tuesdays. Also it's nice to see our young people back ... Sparks & Brownies on Monday evenings.
Check back for details. This is going to be a great event!
More information will follow, but start now planning on attending. It'll be fun to celebrate our 120th birthday!
MORE EVENTS HERE
Daily Scripture Reading
Rom 8:28 - And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Our church is always beautifully decorated. Visit our Photo Gallery to see our favourite pictures, or better yet, stop in for a personal visit sometime!
United Church of Canada Videos
The Moderator Thanks Presbyteries
Moderator Gary Paterson warmly thanks all Presbyteries and Districts across The United Church of Canada that are participating in the vibrant re-imagining of the church for the 21st century. For more information and resources: www.united-church.ca. To participate in the discussion, visit UnitedFuture.ca. Learn more by watching the video below.
Messages & Blogs from the Moderator
SEPT 2014 | JUNE 2014
You are a child of God. He created you in His own image. He chose the day for you to be born. Look up your birth date and see what Bible verse corresponds to it. Click the image above to look up your verse now.