||Welcome to Olds United Church
Located in the heart of Olds, Alberta, the United Church has witnessed the Christian faith through worship, service, and fellowship for 120 years (as of 2014). All are welcome to share in our ministry."I know there is nothing better for them,
than to be happy and enjoy themselves."
From the Minister's Desk
Hope & Happenings, October 21, 2014 - My colleague last week reflected on Thanksgiving, and what it is to give thanks. I want to extend that reflection in a new, but related direction.
In this season of thanks, we in our North American world focus on the abundance that we live with, yet in parts of our world, even in parts of Canada, there are people who go into each day knowing they will not have enough to eat. October 16th each year, is World Food Day, a day set aside by the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization since 1945. The purpose is to increase awareness of world hunger and poverty, with a vision to educate for change.
As we reflect on the abundance that God has given to us, may we each do our part to learn about and better understand the impact of poverty on the people of our world.
Did you know that about 805 million people - that's 1 in 9 of the world's people - live with food insecurity? Do you know that world wide, 40% of food is wasted? What does that say about how we steward the abundance that God gives to the world?
As we live in this season of thanks, let us remember, from Matthew 25, Jesus' words to his disciples, as he talked about meeting the needs of the hungry, the thirsty, and the stranger; "Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these, who are members of my family, you did it to me." (Matt. 25:40)
Blessings, Tammy (Reverend Tammy Allan)
Dear People of Olds United Church
- Bookkeeper/Treasurer Needed - We are looking for someone interested in taking on the task of Bookkeeper/Treasurer. If anyone knows of someone who might be approached or asked to do this, please contact Joyce Quaife, 403-556-3802 or call the office at 403-556-3052.
- To Members of the Choir - Beginning September 18, from 7 - 8 pm, choir practices will resume. We will be preparing anthems for Thanksgiving, 120th Anniversary, Advent, & Christmas. Your presence at our practices is vital, & very much needed if we are to do
our best with the beautiful selections we will be learning. If you know of anyone who might be interested in joining us, please encourage them; newcomers as well as former choir members are welcome. All will find joy in creating a beautiful sound by joining our
voices together in songs of praise & celebration.
- Historic Display at the Museum - There will be an Historic United Church Display at the Mountain View Museum from November 4 - 27. It includes an oral history interview video featuring Alvina Hawthorne and Marianne Becker. The Mountain View Museum is located at 5038 - 50 Street Olds, and is open Tuesday - Friday from 9 am - 4 pm.
- Helping in the Sudan - Alarmed at the growing humanitarian crisis in South Sudan, the United Church of Canada is issuing a church-wide appeal. Donations will aid displaced persons with food, water, shelter and medicine. Mission & Service partners are already on the ground in refugee camps serving those in need. Contributions are urgently needed to mitigate the severe human suffering
that threatens to worsen as the time of seasonal rains draws closer. To see how you can help out, visit www.united-church.ca.
- From the 120th Anniversary Planning Committee - Plans are underway for celebrations for the month of November 2014, with a variety of activities. Have you got anecdotes to share, or pictures that we can use for display purposes? Please bring those items to the church right away, to allow the Anniversary Committee to scan/copy photos and compile stories into a format to be shared.
Church News & Events
Soup's On & Bake Sale
Come and enjoy a bowl of soup, bun, beverage and dessert and stock up on your Christmas baking, jams for gifts, pies and cabbage rolls for your freezer. Cost $6 per person or $20 per family. Tickets at the church. All are welcome to attend. Bring a friend!
NOVEMBER 4 - 27
United Church Video at Museum
Historic United Church Display at the Mountain View Museum. Oral history interview video featuring Alvina Hawthorne and Marianne Becker. The Museum is located at 5038 - 50 Street and is open 9 am - 4 pm, Tuesdays to Fridays.
Join us for Worship at 10 am, Open House from 1 - 3 pm, and Old Tyme Hymn Sing at 3 pm
MORE EVENTS HERE
Daily Scripture Reading
Heb 12:2 - Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Our church is always beautifully decorated. Visit our Photo Gallery to see our favourite pictures, or better yet, stop in for a personal visit sometime!
United Church of Canada Videos
The Moderator Thanks Presbyteries
Moderator Gary Paterson warmly thanks all Presbyteries and Districts across The United Church of Canada that are participating in the vibrant re-imagining of the church for the 21st century. For more information and resources: www.united-church.ca. To participate in the discussion, visit UnitedFuture.ca. Learn more by watching the video below.
Messages & Blogs from the Moderator
SEPT 2014 | JUNE 2014
You are a child of God. He created you in His own image. He chose the day for you to be born. Look up your birth date and see what Bible verse corresponds to it. Click the image above to look up your verse now.